Paperless Office Blog

The purpose of this blog is to discuss paperless office issues.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Dual Monitors

Using dual monitors is a great addition to the paperless office. I have been using dual monitors for about 1 year. According to stats I have heard, using dual monitors makes the user 20% to 25% more efficient. I can't verify the statistics, but dual monitors was a fast payback for me.

One of the problems with using dual monitors is moving a program (actually window) from one screen to the next. The window needs to be in a "normal" size before it can be moved to a different monitor. Since I usually work with maximized screens that means that I need to click on the button on the upper right corner of the screen to "normalize" it or "restore down".

One of our customers told us about a program called Ultramon that adds another button on a window next to the Minimize, Restore Down (normalize) and Maximize buttons. He loves the program. If you have experience with Ultramon, please post a comment to let us know what you think about it. Ultramon is available at <http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/>. The price is $40 for 1 machine, but the price drops for multiple machines.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have used this program and it workes very well. I highly recommend it. The only complaint I have is if you use Terminal Server you have to reduce the size to move it to the other monitor. All the other programs move fine maxamized.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dual monitors is a great adition to your paperless office. 3 monitors will work evenbettre. see some cool examples here:
    http://www.paperlessadvantage.com/picture_gallery.html

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Using Dual monitors has proven to speed up work efficiency by almost 80%. Medical Shelving

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Dave K said…

    The 80% claim may be high, but in the right circumstance it could be accurate.

    BTW, I put my monitors on an Ergotron stand, and I have freed up a good portion of my desk.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Tucker said…

    If you have windows 7 try Using "Windows Key" then Left Right and Up arrows. This quickly shifts windows from one monitor to the next.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Tucker said…

    Use Windows Key + Left right or up arrows. That will shoot monitors between windows without your having to pick up the mouse. This only works on Windows 7 machines though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home